Billing System

This case study is working in progress. Please don't be surprised when you see something crashes :)

Overview

Created a new platform to optimize a billing system for a healthcare company with understanding of the business and users goals.

Due to NDA, this case study will only reflect a few aspects of my design process.

My Role

I started as a sole designer and eventually got involved as a lead UX designer and project management associate in the team 3 designers, 7 developers (including a scrum master and a product owner) and 1 quality assurance engineer. I guided 2 other designers in this project from the reasearch to the execution of the initial design.

Process

With no set requirements given to us, designing something to optimize the process was not a smooth road for all of us. In the beginning, I dived into analysing what does current system looked like with user task analysis and existing platform analysis. I found out there are 33 steps involved to just to send an invoice. Also, there were repetitive tasks that could be optimized.

Image of product flow

Existing platform task flow

Image of product optimization

Optimized version of existing platform

Then I conducted user interviews and by remotely observing how they interact with the existing platform through screen sharing.

platform analysis

The followings were some of the quotes that were gathered from the research:

  • “There is no way to do XYZ so we have workarounds”
  • “There are too much manual work”
  • “It just takes time to even start my actual work”
  • “There’s no way I can see previous notes”
  • “If we send [a invoice] to wrong place, that’s HIPAA violence”
  • “We have over 10 training documents for this system”
  • “I have to manually create the previous invoice because some facilities lose the original one and ask for it again”
  • “Oh that document is in X …. that one is in our Y drive…. it will be in the folder Z”
  • “[Invoices] are depend on contracts and facilities”
  • “I have bunch of paper notes to remind myself”

Problems

I was able to drive key problems from research and grouped them in several areas.

  1. Manual work causing human errors
  2. Time constraints causing revenue loss
  3. System constaints causing workarounds
  4. Communication delays
  5. Dislocated documents
  6. Inconsistant contract types

Solution Concepts

There were multiple solution concepts that linked with probelms that the billing department had:

  1. New workflows to allow faster starting point for users:
    • interface for viewing items by dividing sections for urgent items and all items
    • Implemented auto filtering system to match each user type’s needs
  2. New forms for completing invoices with automation of data to reduce human errors
  3. Placement of documents for easier access
  4. New communication system for quicker responses

Reflection and Learnings

Guiding User

As a designer, guiding my user is important. Especially when they are loosing the focus towards the goal. Listening and understanding user is different from taking all of what they want and put them on to the product. I learnt it is important to be decisive when finding "must haves" verses "nice to have" to prioritize the product features because there are limited time and budgets for projects but sometimes "nice to have" can impact the whole user experience.

Next Steps

If I were to continue with this project, I would change the process from "design -> feedback (and find requirement) -> iterate" to "define industry requirement -> design -> feedback" because without having the understanding of specific requirements in healthcare industry can cause many problems and delay the project.

Thank you for reading my case study!

View More

inSource